October 2, 2008

BCS Bound?

Being the sports starved male that I am it can be hard living in a market where there are not that many shows in town. What I mean is I miss having access to every game the Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Ducks, etc. play. I don't like any of the Denver teams and The Jazz may be growing on me but the appeal of the NBA as a whole is dwindling. However, there is always ample news and coverage for the Cougar fans. I am partly blaming this for my growing, borderline annoying, obsession with BYU football.

Thus far the college football season has been good for the Cougar fan. Now expectations are through the roof and many consider anything other than a BCS bowl game a disappointment. I think it's still early to make plans but now that BYU has moved up to #8 in the polls it certainly looks possible. It would require a third straight year of undefeated conference play, including tough games at TCU and Utah. Not an easy task. I was there two years ago at Utah when BYU needed a last second touchdown to beat a Utah team that wasn't supposed to be a challenge. I keep telling myself things like this so if they do lose my depression won't last more than a few hours.

It's been kind of cool to see BYU get national love. But what I really wanted to talk about was something Bronco said after the Wyoming game, a second straight shut out for the defense. He was asked if he considered margin of victory before benching the starters after 2 1/2 quarters.

"I think notoriety comes in a lot of different ways and certainly that's one way to do it. That's not the way we'll do it. Our hope is to impress in our consistency and execution, really honoring the game, maybe in defiance of the system. We will win with class and integrity. If that's at the expense of polls or rankings or points, it's at that expense. I have been around selfish teams that do that. That’s not who we will be.”

I am so glad that Bronco feels that way and I have no problem admitting selfish interests. Beth's baby brother came into game part way through the 4th quarter at Quarterback and we were freaking out. It was so much fun to see him start warming up on the sidelines. I was a nervous wreck and yet he seemed cool and collected. He did awesome, getting several first downs and the team getting a field goal while in the game. I wish somebody would correct the box score. #19 is not C. Comer it is K. McEuen. We'd even settle for K. Mcewen or K. Macewan.

It's frustrating that the BCS system encourages teams to put up ridiculous numbers in the name of recognition. I texted into Bronco's weekly radio show last night and asked him a similar question. He replied (on air after thanking "John" for the question BOO YEAH!) that he believes the 3rd and even 4th teams deserve opportunities in situations like those against UCLA and Wyoming.

So here's to more shut outs and plenty of "scrub" time. Tomorrow we are off to Logan to watch BYU-USU. I am surrounded by Aggie alum at every family function and would not survive the Holidays if BYU doesn't win.


A ghetto version of just one of the highlights from the last game. But isn't everything about The Mtn. ghetto?

1 comment:

noelle said...

Sweet article - thank you for posting it!