October 30, 2008

Fall Television

While we patiently wait for the next installments of 24 and Lost we have given a few news shows a try. We've found a couple that we like but nowadays it seems like that is only half the battle. Now we wait and see if the show gets rearranged one week and then never returns. Here are my thoughts on the new shows, I watched each one at least twice before I reviewed.
  1. Knight Rider D -- Not good. Cheesy and the only thing nostalgic about it was the theme music.
  2. Fringe C- -- This was the show I thought had the most potential. J. J. Abrams said that fans of Lost would identify with this show. I just didn't get it and didn't care. The story line is government agents trying to figure out "the pattern" of weird events. My problem was each episode followed the same pattern and it got old. Something unexplainable happens, it turns out to be related to experiments done by a Dr. at Harvard 20 years, and the company Massive Dynamic is involved, the end. Beth wants to keep giving a shot but I think it's because she has a crush on the guy from Dawson's Creek. Plus another nail in their coffin is they fell into the same trap Chuck did. I can't tell if the main character is cute or not. I think she's cute, no she isn't, maybe if they changed her hair, no . . definitely not pretty. I'm not trying to say that every show needs to have beautiful people but I want to be able to tell one way or the other. And I know it's not just me because I have run this by Beth and others.
  3. Kath and Kim C+ -- This made the DVR cut list because it has one of my favorite actors. The sad part is I don't even know his name but he has cracked me up in everything he's in from DirecTV commercials, episodes of Seinfeld and Arrested Development, and the Christopher Guest movies. John Michael Higgins, took 4 seconds to just look it up. Unfortunately the women characters are made to be too stupid and it makes it almost unwatchable. It's only 30 minutes so it will probably remain on the DVR list until it is cancelled.
  4. My Own Worst Enemy B+ -- I thought the pilot episode of this show was excellent. It had more blood and showed more skin than we were used to on network television but that didn't continue beyond the pilot. The second episode bugged me because the company still sent Henry(as opposed to Edward) on the top secret missions. You'd have to see it to understand what I'm talking about. However, this weeks episode was entertaining and resolved my concerns.
  5. Pushing Daisies A- -- I realize this show isn't new but it is new to us. It made the cut based on a recommendation from a friend who also caught us up as much as we needed. It is original and quite clever. Plus I don't have to debate whether Charlotte is attractive. The narrator is Jim Dale, who many will recognize as the narrator of the Harry Potter books. Another reason to try Pushing Daisies, it's one of those shows that looks awesome in HD.
If there is something else we've missed or you have enjoyed please let us know. The Office and Life are our two favorite shows right now. When Life was relegated to a Friday time slot we saddened knowing it was only a matter of time before it was canceled. But it keeps getting special showings on a Monday here or Wednesday there so maybe there is hope after all. The Office had a new all time funny moment a few weeks ago when Jim's review of Battlestar Gallactica involved Dumbledore Calrissian and his trip to Mordor.

4 comments:

emetski said...

note to self: don't waste DVR space on Knight Rider. What's up with Hero's? I'm three episodes behind and have no motivation to watch.

Lynn said...

thank you for taking the time to review these shows so we didn't have to. i did try kath and kim because the previews were very funny. but despite having two decent actors, i think it's going to get real old real fast.

Brian said...

I watched the Office Ethics episode at work the other day and I was just cracking up at the Battlestar Galactica part. We watch Heroes but it is turning into "All My Children" really fast, with all of the fake out deaths and sudden appearances of long lost twins. How about Dwight's Cornell interview, when he said Jack Bauer was one of his role models. You're not the only one excited for the next 24.

Justin said...

Can't wait for 24 and Lost. We gave up on Fringe after 2 episodes, and couldn't commit to anything else new. We still love 30 Rock, Amazing Race, Survivor, and Office though...unfortunately that leaves 5 nights during the week with no TV (since Pushing Daisies is on hiatus again, possibly forever).