September 10, 2009

Weekend of Me

Some time within the last four weeks I had one of those weekends where it was all about me. And it wasn't even my birthday. It started Friday night with MBA graduation. Those that really cared about me chose to attend. Thanks everyone. Actually I wasn't all that excited about the pomp and circumstance myself, mostly excited to see the other guys from the program again. Classes had ended July 1. (For those muttering "what the heck?" I spent the past two years in the Executive MBA program at BYU. Classes were every Tuesday and Thursday night.)

The ceremony itself was spectacular and I can't even remember what was said. I spent the whole time thinking "This is awesome! We are absolutely cruising, this could take under an hour!" Not quite but we sure came close at one hour four minutes. Best graduation proceedings I've ever been to. My sister did a better job documenting the event and post more photos here.

Here I am holding the little lady at the pre ceremony party. It got wild with lemonade and vegetables with dip. We were careful not to get anything on the suit I got myself for graduation while we were in Bangkok.

Here's the family in the new edition to the Tanner Building (Marriott School of Management) after I finally figured out how to put on the bat cape, but was still working on the scarf thingy. Is it old school to be one of the two not looking at the camera when there's a two and one year old? Behind us is a plaque with the donors including all the Marriotts and if you look over my left shoulder a couple ending in "ARET MILLER". I wonder if they know Beth's grandparents Marvin and Margaret.
The buddy hugging me after it was over. Notice the tassel is still on the right, I guessed wrong before the diplomas. Speaking of diplomas I got an email this week saying mine was in the mail. I guess they forgave the unpaid parking ticket that kept me from ever getting my bachelor's diploma. Good for them!

That night those that could make it joined us at Gloria's Little Italy for the requisite carbo loading before the Utah Half Tri. Coincidentally I got to use the other part of the my graduation scores, the new to me Specialized road bike from my dad. The last time I got a new bike and a new suit was 2003, the last time I graduated. I don't know what I'm going to do in a few years when I need another suit and another bike.

5 comments:

emetski said...

Congrats on the degree. I'm very excited about the bike. I just wish I could keep up with you. When you complete your PhD, I'll be ready for a new bike which could be good news for you! Well done!!

Marci and Morgan said...

What a narcissist

Marci and Morgan said...

haha. just kidding- you know we're proud- even if we didn't "choose" to attend....trust me, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck at lotoja!

Unknown said...

We admire you for biting off and finishing the program. Congratulations. One way of another it will stand in good stead for you over the years.

noelle said...

Congratulations John! I know Aret Miller - she is awesome :).