March 19, 2010

mmmbop

in case you missed the update on the last post we are having a girl. due date July 25. oh and I wasn't even mildly disappointed. :'')0(-

Thursday marked two weeks since surgery. I didn't quite celebrate the way I did at the one week mark. How did I celebrate you ask? By strapping the Smith's Enriched White Bread* bag over my arm and taking a shower. Don't worry it wasn't my first shower that week (but it wasn't my third). The doctor and nurses really spooked me about getting it wet and causing an infection and for some reason I paid extra attention this time.

*The Smith's Enriched White Bread bag is actually a perfect arm protecting bag. Great size and very tough. However, I have been informed to NEVER buy that bread again. Apparently my family is now too good for $0.99 bread. They have to have the $1.99 bread.


As far as I can tell surgery went well. It almost didn't happen again because I was honest and told the anesthesiologist about the half a bite of yogurt I had. Without even thinking what I was doing I cleaned Lily's spoon at breakfast. The ligament was completely detached from the bone so they had to attach it back by inserting a piece of metal into the bone. Afterward I had a lot of pain in my thumb but otherwise felt OK, was even able to attack a Del Combo Burrito when we left. Beth instantly regretted asking me what I felt like eating. She thought maybe the drugs would reverse my recent aversion to all things Cafe Rio.

For the first two weeks I had a brace around the thumb and wrist and the bulky bandage you see below. Beth said it reminded her of Hellboy and his fist, which actually made it cooler.
Here's an action shot, celebrating March birthday's at Texas Roadhouse. At least 4 of the ladies in this picture are pregnant.

Tuesday I went in for my two week appointment and they eventually cut through the dried blood and removed the dressing. They started to remove the stitches and the first couple didn't bother me but the closer they moved to the tip of my thumb it got very painful. I've had my fair share of stitches removed over the last four months and this was nothing like any of those. After one particular stitch I felt myself start to lose it, breathing harder, trying not to move at all. The technician asked if I was OK and I insisted I was fine and to keep going. But could I get a glass of water? He asked if I was sure, pointing out it's easier to lay down than for him to pick me up off the ground. I played tough and just wanted him to finish. He took out one more stitch, I winced, and he looked at my face and immediately opened the door and waved the nurse in. They noted that I didn't have any blood in my face and needed to lie down. This time I agreed. The nurse said it was very normal whenever something is removed from the hand for the body to think it was no longer protected and over compensate. I don't know if that's true or if she was just trying to make me feel better about being a wimp.

Anyways I now have a hard cast covering my thumb and halfway up my arm. I went with Cougar Blue because as a face painted David Puddy once put it you "gotta support the team." And by Cougar Blue I don't mean the superior original royal but the current and shared with others navy. The actual incision looked pretty ugly but the Dr. told me not to worry that I wouldn't even recognize it in four weeks when the cast comes off. Which is two weeks earlier than I originally thought. Great news! And after much lobbying I got a water proof cast. Don't ask me why they aren't the default. I asked and didn't get a satisfactory answer.

I am getting better at using my left hand for things. Daily tasks like brushing, shaving, wiping, buttoning are the weirdest. I'm just glad I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and will soon enough be able to do things like run, ride, swim, and help change Lily's diapers.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

When you do something, you really do it to the maximum. Do you have any plans for your next disaster yet? We are hoping you have had more than your share so far and this should wind up things for a while.

Matt and Tiana said...

Love the Hellboy reference. The name seems to fit. Congratulations! Another girl, very exciting. Can't wait to meet her and find out what her name will be.