March 26, 2008

Cheyenne visits


You have no idea how crazy it is to dogsit your own freaking dog. The family we gave Cheyenne to Christmas Eve went out of town last week and asked us if we would watch her while they were gone. Of course we would. I admit in the back of my mind I was worried she would either act indifferent towards us or just not listen to us. But we picked up right where we left off. She was stoked to see us and obeyed the same rules we taught her. For example she remembered she's in charge of protecting the floor under Jack's high chair from food (see photo of her on guard).
Our first thought was that she was huge. As in fat. That's a bit harsh, she probably only gained 5 or 6 pounds but that was 10% of her previous weight. I always told Beth that one way to calm a dog down is to get them overweight. She can still run all day and night, maybe even faster (or maybe I'm just slower), but overall she does seem more content. Even Jack mimicked Beth's constant "good girl" praises.
I was chatting with one of our new neighbors on Saturday while outside working. Cheyenne was out with me and my neighbor started to ask about her. As I answered his questions, talking about this and that, mentioning she turns 3 next week I could read the confusion on his face. It said "obviously this dogs a part of his family and these past few months I had no idea there was a dog somewhere in the house." I smiled and decided not to go into the explanation. I was trying to tune my bike. The St. George Tri is around the corner and I need to get on it eventually.

3 comments:

emetski said...

"trying to tune my bike" That's a good one. Were you putting air in the front or rear tire? btw, Jack's back in Irvine and lovin' it. He's very fond of Del Taco fries and lemonade.

Unknown said...

Good luck getting over the withdrawls again after Cheyenne left and good luck with the triathelon in St. George.

johnEboy said...

I knew that comment was coming from my dad. I actually put air in BOTH tires. One needed a new tube. Plus I cleaned it, nobody wants a diry bike.