August 11, 2008

Emmett Family Reunion

As hard as it is to tear myself away from watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh dominate the beach in Beijing I need to get a couple posts up. Last weekend the Extended Emmett Doggies gathered in Logan to celebrate my Grandparents 60th anniversary. The festivities actually started at Lagoon on Thursday but worked called and we were not able to make it for that. It had nothing to do with the disappointment I experienced as a 12-year-old when I first and last visited Lagoon. Apparently it is still hot there but there are several more fun coasters to ride.
The weekend was a blast and as always it is good to get together with family. Lots of good food and company. Friday was spent at Bear Lake and most of Saturday was spent at Twin Pine Ranch. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for a fun weekend and for starting a great family.
Here's Jack setting foot on land again. He braved the tube with his mom and aunts Kristin and Jackie. He thought it was particularly hilarious when water swamped the tube. I also like this picture because it actually proves I was there that day. You can see people in the background at a shift change. We pulled the boat from Midway and once we put it in the water I didn't get off it again until we pulled it out 5 hours later. Judging by the screams heard that day people were either having fun or really really hated it. Special thanks to the in-laws for letting us take the boat. Bear Lake is such a pretty lake. The water is totally different than most of the mountain lakes we frequent. Really blue and crystal clear.
Lily mostly enjoyed sleeping on grandpa in the shade.Here's the Irvine Emmetts with Grandma and Grandpa. Saturday morning everyone gathered to pick special heirlooms and other "junk" as described by Grandma. Everyone got a pick based on when they joined the family and we rotated for 7 or 8 rounds before it turned into a grab what you want free for all. My dad picked second and grabbed the eye chart I wanted. It's no ordinary eye chart, the letters spell out "KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM". I remember as a young child when I first realized it actually said something. My mom picked seventh and grabbed a hand knitted sweater, originally made by Grandma for Uncle Bill. It is over 55 years old but looks great. Fits Lily perfectly. Since my parents used their picks for us we let them have our first couple picks. We got to pick for both Jack and Lily so our picks really added up fast. Beth was in her element. She is such a natural forager that this type of thing is better than a kid in a candy shop. She cleaned up, especially at the end when nobody else seemed to want all of my Great Grandma's things. The women out there probably want more details but I don't know how to describe it other than "stuff". There was a really old table cloth, baby bonnet, fabrics, silver stuff, and other related things that probably came from pioneer times. I was stoked with my eye chart and couple Hi-C mugs.
It worked out that my mom's family had a reunion that afternoon in Logan as well. Before heading to that we worked up a sweat playing backyard soccer. For the second time in as many days I really missed Elder Mikey. He'll be home in time for next summer's festivities. I didn't appreciate my cousin Samantha making me look bad.
There were a few slackers but just about everyone made it for the photo.

No comments: