April 15, 2008

Insert California Song Title Here

I dislike coming up with a title for a new post. At least this time I had all sorts of songs running through my head. I just couldn't pick one. Raise your hand if you've ever created a California themed mixed tape (or playlist) for the road trips home.

When I learned while writing for the Golden Arrow in high school that I didn't have to write the headline for my articles I thought that was pure genius. Then when the paper came out and I read the headline that somebody else (no offense but it was probably a girl (I was the sports guy))* wrote I was ticked off because it either a) made no sense or b) was just lame. Later on in my journalism career I became the editor and therefore had to write the headlines for other people's articles. Man did I hate that job. Minutes and minutes of agonizing only to come up with something that doesn't even come close to satisfying.

There must be a special brain wave that allows headline writers to come up with an endless supply of puns. And more often than not they actually relate and add value to the content of the article, or in this case a blog. And it's not just good newspaper people that can do it, I see it on a daily basis on other blogs, y'all know who you are. How do you do it?

This was supposed to be about our trip to California but this tangent took over. I'll have to make a separate post. The worst part is I have to come up with another title.

*I'm aware that by saying no offense I acknowledged I was about to offend. Would it be better if I said "I don't mean to disrespect but . . ." Whenever I hear that it's my cue to listen up because someone or something is about to get dissed.

2 comments:

Marci and Morgan said...

I love it.. You're so right. Too bad you had to come up with another title- I totally feel for you!

paige said...

I always say no offense & I know people hate it... but I still say it.

Lately I have had a hard time with titles & have noticed on some other people's blogs, they just leave it blank. All you see is the date & then the post. I guess that's all you really need unless you had some great inspiration. I might try that out sometime.

P.S. Your California trip looked like a blast! We just got back from Lake Powell to find it snowing ... no fun at all when Polly asks 100 times a day to go to the playground or on a walk.