April 9, 2009

Best Friend?

*Note from JohnE - after a couple weeks this is the best I could come up with for my 100th post.

One of the things I love about living in what some consider the middle of nowhere is the excellent recreation available. The cycling, running, and swimming around Heber Valley is an absolute treat (OK maybe not in Winter). On a run you are more likely to see an Osprey, Sandhill Crane, Bald Eagle, or of course the Hawk than a pigeon or a crow. However, there is a potential danger to running in the country. Because of this danger I have been become quite literally a scaredy cat, always on the lookout. I switched earphones because noise canceling earphones open me for not so sneak attacks. What is this danger you ask? It's the country family dog.

Now I am a dog lover and a former dog owner. I hope to one day own a dog again. I just have to wait until my kids are old enough and I can trick them into wanting a dog so bad they'll sign away their life promising to care for and clean up after it. But I was and will be responsible about it, no matter how "nice" or "loving" she is. Cheyenne, while crazy, wouldn't hurt a fly. Actually that's not true, I once saw her eat a fly out of the air. But whenever I was outside with her she was either on a leash or tied up, because other people don't know she's crazy friendly. Apparently this common courtesy doesn't apply to families that own more than one acre. Once you hit the acre mark it is no longer required to fence or tie your dog. I have a couple favorite routes and have over time learned and named every stinkin dog. Luckily I've never been attacked let alone bitten. At least not since the mission but then I was actively trying to get onto properties so I guess it was bound to happen.

My short run is an excellent out and back. It's 4 miles to the top of Memorial Hill and back. Plus from the bottom of the hill to the top is exactly a mile so if you want a good 10K you just run the hill twice. Here is who you need to be on the look out for:
  1. Grendel (Mile .67 and 3.4) - This house is actually the worst I have come across. Grendel is an Irish Wolfhound. If you haven't ever seen an Irish Wolfhound think Shetland Pony but instead of ridiculous think terrifying. The size of a small horse and looks of something bred to kill wolves. And it's not just Grendel because also at the Nielsen's is . . .
  2. Killer (Mile .67 and 3.4) - Killer is a champion German Shepherd. Very pretty and almost jet black. For a period I was the Nielsen's home teacher and know both these dogs to be gentle giants but it still doesn't help when they come running. They are only outside if someone in the family is working in the yard which is amazingly often when there is 3 acres to tend. Plus I know Killer is employed by Wasatch Search and Rescue. Whatever his intentions may be his job is literally to hunt humans and that is scary.
  3. Tad (Mile .75 and 3.27) - Tad is a six month old Golden Retriever and reminds me of my dog growing up. I guess I spoke too soon when I said I hadn't been bitten because Tad (who is a tad) did run up to me and do that jump on and mouth thing puppies are so fond of.
  4. Bucky (Mile .88 and 3.14) - Bucky is the ultimate pound rescue mutt. Even though he doesn't wear a collar it does look like he treats the property as an invisible fence and just gives a few warning barks.
  5. Danger Zone (Mile 1-3) - You aren't in the clear once you get to the hill. Like any road with no one and no houses around this is where people come to walk their dogs who need a leash without a leash. Just be ready if you see any cars parked at the bottom.
A popular long run is 10 miles and is sort of a half tour de heber. It's a picturesque run over the river, through the woods, to grandma McEuen's, by the lake, along Soldier Hollow, and home. These roads are particularly populated by families with many acres therefore not required to follow the guidelines set by society. Here is a quick sample of who to look out for:
  1. Orange Lassie (Mile 1.64) - A descriptive name but I actually haven't seen the Hyde's dog in a while so maybe the obstacle has been handled.
  2. Ren (Mile 2.61) - The first of two annoying toy dogs on Casperville Road. About the size of shoebox this dog has the best hearing of any dog I've seen. No matter which way the wind is blowing you can't sneak by Ren. Ren is persistent and doesn't stop barking but because of his size it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for his effect on . . .
  3. Stimpy (Mile 2.64) - Stimpy is a yellow lab and honestly would not give a care if it wasn't for the noise his friend and neighbor makes. If Ren is out then Stimpy gets up and puts on a show. If I run up and see Stimpy alone all he does is lift his head look to Ren for instructions. If Ren isn't around then Stimpy goes back to sleep. Gotta love old labs.
  4. Napoleon (Mile 2.83) - This dog has made me madder than any dog. A miniature pinscher with a true Napoleon complex. This dog actually chases and tries to attack cars. Napoleon is also one of the few dogs that I can run faster than. The annoying part is he doesn't give up. Unless you turn and face him at which point he turns and runs like he just got beaten. But eventually he turns around and starts chasing again only this time a 1/4 mile behind.
  5. Grizzled (Mile 3.35) - This is a true cattle dog and looks like he is about 20 years. Even though he sits right on the road he doesn't bother to investigate. Which is a good thing because despite his age I would pick him in any scrap.
  6. Amigo (Mile 4.3) - Amigo is a border collie mix. After a few initially intense moments where he thoroughly checked me out and began following just behind me (forcing me to keep my head on swivel) I invited him to come run next me so I could more easily watch him. He ended up keeping me company for over a mile at which point he turned (hopefully for home). Since then he has joined me one more time.
And it goes on with 5 more named unfenced dogs before mile 8 and the civilization of downtown Midway. Sure there are pluses like I get to work on my neck muscles for swimming and I've heard that running backwards is good cross training for something. I guess I'm just jealous that I probably won't ever get to be one of the those people the rules don't apply to.

6 comments:

Casey said...

wow, and i thought running in lindon was bad...a close neighbor had a dog that was always mistaken for a deer because it was so big, and i was terrified to run past that house cause it was never tied up.

oh man, i just googled pics of irish wolfhounds, and now i'm going to have nightmares.

Unknown said...

The positive part of the report is that you are still with us and still getting exercise. Good luck re: making sure that continues into the future. Not having to put up with all of the distractions must have been one of the positive aspects of growing up a couch potato

Justin said...

Happy 100th post!

YPR said...

John, have you had to deal with mule deer and stray cows yet? Sounds like running in Heber Valley is similar to running in Cache Valley. Of course, my biggest fear is the "giganticas truckus" seen most often on the narrow county roads.

Maybe we'll see you guys tonight in Irvine.

Brian said...

My favorite part about this post (also the post about the hawk following you on your bike) is that I can picture you in my head thinking of cleaver things to post while you are out exercising. I know because I do it myself all the time.

Us5McEuens said...

John,
Have you seen Marley & Me (or read it) yet?