January 17, 2008

Birthday greeting

On the drive home tonight after class I tried to reach my dad to wish him a happy birthday. I was unable to catch him but it got me thinking about the things I learned from him that I have tried to apply in my relatively short experience as a father. Here are four things I am grateful for and I hope Jack is too.
  1. Fatherly hair drying after the tub. He could always get those hands moving so fast inside the towel. Jack does seem to love it as I did.
  2. The haircuts. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get a deal. Jack hasn't required many haircuts yet (one) but I am going to focus on the ones that don't end with a bleeding ear.
  3. Gentle wake-ups. First I need to say how much I have always hated waking up. I love you mom but we preffered dad's methods (I had to call Brian just to verify). Lights on and sudden talking were no doubt effective but gentle nudging and low volume made waking up a little less painful.
  4. Excellent driving tunes. This was just a given. Thanks dad!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A dad like that can't be all bad - if I were you, I would emulate him whenever you can.

emetski said...

Thanks for the greetings. It was a wonderful birthday of travel and a customer event at the Sharks hockey game. Next year, I'm going to do a little more planning and find my way to a ski slope instead of working.

Anonymous said...

Soft voices and gentle nudging definitely win out, dad was good at that too. I have to say though, that like your mom, the other way seems to get more immediate results!!